The Steve Silver Foundation & Beach Blanket Babylon “Scholarship for the Arts” Entry Requirements
The Steve Silver Foundation & Beach Blanket Babylon “Scholarship for the Arts” is dedicated to giving Bay Area high school seniors the opportunity to pursue an education in the performing arts. Three $15,000 scholarships will be awarded, one in each of the following categories: Voice, Acting, and Dance. Entries will be first judged by a panel of performing arts professionals and experts, who will pick the top three finalists in each category. Finalists will be notified by phone on May 8, 2017 and will perform their three minute selection live at Club Fugazi in San Francisco on Monday, June 5, 2017.
• All applicants must be legal residents of the United States or one of its official territories.
• Students must be seniors enrolled at a High School or home schooled within 100 miles of Club Fugazi in San Francisco.
• Students must include a completed entry form along with a recording of their performance (see Submission Guidelines below).
• Scholarships are awarded based on talent. Grades and financial needs are not factors.
• Scholarship awards are contingent upon proof of enrollment at an accredited post-secondary institution. If you are chosen as a winner, you must agree to attend an accredited post-secondary institution within a year of receiving the scholarship award.
• Application must include signature verification that information provided is accurate and that the scholarship award will be applied toward the cost of the education at a fully accredited institution.
• One entry per person. Entries must be made in only one category and only one song, dance or acting piece can be performed on your recording.
• The time limit for all entries is 3 minutes. Any material that extends past 3 minutes will be disregarded.
• For online submissions, you must include a valid link to your audition video on a public video hosting website.
• For mail-in entries, use a DVD, VHS or Digital CD-ROM, recorded at the standard play speed. Black and white or color tapes are acceptable. All audio and Visual recording must be unedited. Cassette tapes, CDs, Mini-DVs, Hi8 tapes and VHS-C tapes will not be accepted for any category.
• Audio CDs will not be accepted for any category. All submissions must have audio and video.
• The piece that you perform on your recording does not have to be the piece performed if chosen as a finalist (new piece subject to the approval of the selection committee).
• Use a backdrop that will not divert the viewer’s attention from the performance.
• The material to be judged must appear at the beginning of the tape and the tape should only contain the performance piece that you are submitting.
• Make sure to review your recording before submitting to ensure high-quality recording. When possible, please record in HD.
• The top three finalists in each category must be present to perform their selection live at a venue in San Francisco on Monday, June 6th.
• One winner in each category will be chosen by a panel of judges, based on the criteria outlined below. The three winners will each be presented with a check for $15,000 on Monday, June 5, 2017 by the Steve Silver Foundation.
INTONATION: Singing in tune and the ability to achieve a quality of sound appropriate to the vocal range (resonance, quality, control, clarity, focus, consistency, and warmth).
TECHNIQUE: The degree to which the performer has acquired control of his or her voice, including artistry, attacks, releases, control of ranges, and musical and mechanical skill.
RHYTHM: The ability to establish, maintain, and project a range of rhythms.
INTERPRETATION: The ability to project a convincing concept of the piece, including style, phrasing, tempo, dynamics, and emotional involvement.
PHRASING: Sensitivity to the need for phrasing and the ability to execute it.
IMPROVISATION (Jazz only): The ability to create new motifs, melodies, and rhythms that are suggested by the harmonic structure (chord progression) of the composition.
DICTION: Accurate pronunciation and clear articulation.
Applicants will be judged on the basis of the actor’s ability to demonstrate concentration, control of material, flexibility and versatility of voice, movement and expression. Vocal and physical phrasing and articulation must be demonstrated. Actors should give evidence of knowing the meaning and place of the audition piece in the context of the play from which it is taken. Actors should demonstrate that they grasp the event being dramatized and can deliver it to the audience. The performers should be believable and make the audience care about what is taking place.
TECHNIQUE: The skill to execute the demands of the choreography with proficiency and ease.
APPEARANCE: The presentation of one’s self physically at a standard recognized in the dance form.
MUSICALITY/PHRASING: The ability to physically express the rhythm, melody, nuance, and character of the music through the choreography.
ARTISTRY: The creativity and sincerity of the performance.
WHAT ARE THE IMPORTANT DATES FOR THE “SCHOLARSHIP FOR THE ARTS” PROGRAM?
Monday, March 6th
Scholarship Contest begins
Friday, April 28th
Deadline for all entries (must be postmarked by this date)
April 28th-May 7th
Selection committee will choose 3 finalists from each category
Monday, May 8th
Finalists notified by phone and posted on this web page
Monday, June 5th
Finalists perform live at Club Fugazi in San Francisco starting at 7:30pm, winners chosen.
For online entries:
Please make sure to fill out the online entry form entirely. The recording and entry form must be uploaded by 11:59 p.m. PST on Friday, April 28, 2017.
All submissions become the property of Steve Silver Productions, Inc. and will not be returned.
For mail-in entries:
Label the DVD, VHS or CD-Rom (not just the holding case) with your first and last name and category of performance you are entering. Important: Please send the application form and recording in the same envelope. Please check that all labels and forms are completed and accurate before sending your material. Application materials must be postmarked no later than 11:59 pm Friday, April 28, 2017.
For answers to further questions please email
Where do I submit my entry?
Please send all submissions to:
Beach Blanket Babylon Scholarship
c/o Charles Zukow Associates
605 Market Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA 94105